Fish Cakes are easy to make, delicious, and heartwarming.
These spicy & nutritious Moroccan Fish Cakes in Tomato Chermoula Sauce are sure to be a hit with the whole family.
- Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until thick paste forms, add more oil if necessary to blend. (This paste freezes well and makes about ½ cup)
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients listed excluding the 1 egg, hake fillets, ½ cup of breadcrumbs, 1 onion, and blend.
- Add in the remaining 1 egg, hake fillets, ½ cup of breadcrumbs, and 1 onion and stir, making sure not to make it into a smooth paste. Must be binded but not mushy.
- Use a scoop or your hands to form even-sized fish cakes.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan, and lightly fry the fish cakes, just sealing & browning on either side.
- When done, leave aside.
- Add oil to the pan, then add in the onion and braise until lightly golden.
- Add in the Chermoula paste and braise till fragrant.
- Add in the Romanita tomato juice, salt, and pepper and simmer for 10-15min until the sauce thickens.
- Gently place the fish cakes into the tomato sauce and add very little water, just enough to cover the fish cakes.
- Cover the pan and let simmer on low for 10-15min until the fish cakes are firm but bouncy. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with crusty bread.