This rich tomato beef stew is the perfect comfort food for colder days. Not only is it delicious, but it is nutritious as well. Heating tomatoes and our ZZ2 100% Romanita Tomato Juice, significantly increases their levels of lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant with many health benefits.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Heat a large ovenproof pot over medium heat.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil and brown the beef. Remove the beef from the pot and keep aside.
- In the pot, add the other tablespoon of oil and cook the onion, carrot, and garlic for 4-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the beef back into the pot and stir through.
- Add the ZZ2 100% Romanita Juice, beef stock, ZZ2 Romanita tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf.
- Cover the pot and place it in the oven for 2 ½ hours, checking often to stir and make sure there is still liquid in the pot.
- Remove the cover after 2 hours to let the sauce thicken for the last 30 minutes, if the sauce isn’t thick yet.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with polenta.