Nourish, don’t punish!
I used to get tempted to punish myself with a strict detox at the beginning of the year, filled with strange teas and deprivation to ‘make up’ for all of the festive food I consumed over the past few weeks. I used to think that I needed to punish my body into good health and that health was synonymous with a flat tummy, a certain weight, and deprivation, but that’s not true. You can nourish your body with food and drinks to support its natural detoxification process, and it’s so beneficial to you.
The word “detox” has bad connotations. You might imagine drinking some strange mixture or tea, being constantly hungry, having to run to the bathroom all the time, or otherwise suffering and depriving yourself. And if you use some of the many ‘detox’ products out there that could be exactly what you’ll experience.
Those highly advertised detox teas commonly cause abdominal pain and discomfort. Cramps, bloating, gas, and nausea. The high levels of caffeine and laxative ingredients usually cause these symptoms, as they put stress on the digestive system. Don’t use them. Ever. And here’s why.
The human body comes equipped with a highly effective detox system, a team of organs working together to eliminate the toxic waste in our bodies. Our kidneys, liver, skin, colon, and lungs are all working together and in sync to cleanse – and it’s happening right now as you read these words on this page. No detox tea or pills required.
Our bodies are also continuously fighting against the toxins that we are exposed to in our environment, for example, what we ingest or inhale, from things such as cigarettes, car fumes, carbon emissions, and herbicides/pesticides on the food we eat. Over time, naturally, this system can get run down from all the highly processed foods, drinking caffeine and alcohol, the daily stress we experience, toxins in our surrounding environment, and the unhealthy habits that we allow into our daily lives.
But, when these organs are supported through enjoying nourishing foods and drinks and easing up on the number of toxins you consume your body feels energized, revitalized, and healthier.
In the same way that your body needs a holiday from your work, your digestive system also needs a break from the work it does 24/7 to “recharge”. A nourishing cleanse gives your body the time, space, and right conditions to deal with those factors that run our systems down. This break can restore balance and vitality to our bodies, to help us heal faster and charge up the batteries that are slowly losing power.
It’s so much more beneficial to SUPPORT your body’s natural detoxification process rather than depriving your body of the food and nutrients it needs. Here are just a few ways you can support your body’s detox organs daily:
- Drink more water, especially with lemon juice. Lemon juice stimulates the liver to flush out toxins and certain studies have found that the citrus flavonoids in lemon may protect the liver against toxins and reduce fat in the liver, protecting against fatty liver disease.
- Limit alcohol. Long-term alcohol use interferes with the Liver’s detoxification process, causes inflammation, and eventually leads to scarring on the liver. As the liver becomes increasingly damaged, it has a harder time removing toxic substances from your body.
- Add Turmeric to your everyday life. Turmeric is a well-known anti-inflammatory root that also helps to improve circulation, relieve pain, reduce cancer risk, and support liver detox by increasing glutathione levels. Add turmeric to oats in the morning, enjoy some turmeric in veggie juice, salad dressing or in your cooking.
- Add apple cider vinegar to meals. Along with a host of other benefits, apple cider vinegar can help support liver detoxification. Just be sure to buy the raw, unfiltered, and organic variety. Always dilute apple cider vinegar in water before consuming it, or use it in salad dressing and smoothies.
- Eat foods that support detoxification. Bitter foods and foods that promote the body’s production of internal antioxidants, especially glutathione, are best for detoxification. Add more beetroot, carrots, celery, cabbage, broccoli, garlic, beets, green apples, and dandelion to your everyday meals.
These are only a few of the things you can do to begin to support the system of organs that helps cleanse and rid your body of toxins daily. Sadly today our grocery stores are filled with fake foods with toxic ingredients, filled with fillers that mimic hormones, that when in excess within our systems can do major damage to our bodies. It’s more important than ever to add more whole, sustainably sourced, and organic foods and drinks to our lives.
No detox teas needed! From now on, let’s nourish and support our bodies daily.
Perhaps your body is giving you signs that it’s running in overdrive and needs a pick-me-up? If you’ve ever wanted to eliminate food cravings, have abundant energy throughout the day, kick-start your immune system or release excess weight, be sure to enroll in the LIVEit group online coaching program where you will not only do a 7-day Nourishing Cleanse but you will learn more about supporting your body’s natural detoxification, preparing your pantry, breaking out of the binge-guilt cycle, how to never DIEt again, and so much more. Click here for more information: https://www.melissalainn.com/liveit-program
Melissa Lainn is an Integrative Nutrition Health and Wellness Coach, certified Meditation Practitioner, certified NLP Practitioner and the host of The LifeKraft Podcast. She is passionate about helping people ditch diets, transform their health holistically and find the freedom with food, the energy in their bodies and vitality in their minds that they’ve always wanted.